Off The Record Counselling Service Willow Lane House 9, Willow Lane Norwich NR2 1EU
Off The RecordCounselling ServiceWillow Lane House9, Willow LaneNorwich NR2 1EU

Everything you want to know about Gift Aid

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is one of the easiest ways to make your donations go further. It means we can reclaim the basic rate of tax from HMRC. There is no extra cost to you and the process is simple – all you need to do is make a Gift Aid declaration.


What is a Gift Aid declaration?

A Gift Aid declaration is a statement by an individual taxpayer that they want a charity to claim from HMRC the tax paid on their donation. This is a great way to add 25 % to the value of your gift to Off The Record Counselling Service without it costing you a penny more.


For example,

  • Counselling session donation you pay = £20
  • Counselling session donation if you say yes to Gift Aid = £25
  • Cost to you = £0!
  • Benefit for OTR = £5!


What does the Gift Aid declaration commit me to?

For every £1 you donate to OTR in a financial year (from 6 April to 5 April the following year), you must have paid 25p in income or capital gains tax in the same financial year to qualify for Gift Aid.

If you have made a Gift Aid declaration, we ask that you let us know if you cease to pay enough income tax and/or capital gains tax to cover the amount we will claim from HMRC on the donations you make. Also, please let us know if you change your name or address.


Do I qualify for Gift Aid?

You must be a UK taxpayer and pay enough in income tax and/or capital gains tax to cover the amount OTR will reclaim in the tax year (from 6 April to 5 April of the following year). Inheritance tax, council tax, and VAT do not qualify for Gift Aid.


How do I know if I pay UK Income or Capital Gains Tax?

You pay these taxes if:

  • income tax is taken from your wages or salary before you receive your pay
  • you pay tax after filling in a self-assessment form each year
  • you have any taxable savings (in building society, for instance), or a pension plan or investment income
  • you have paid any capital gains tax on the sale of a property or some shares, for example. Inheritance tax, council tax, and VAT do not count as income or capital gains tax.


Why does it work out at 25 pence for every pound given?

Although the basic rate tax is currently 20 %, the donation for £1 is treated as the net after tax from £1.25 (£1.25 minus 20 % is approximately £1), we can therefore reclaim 25p.


What if I don’t pay UK Income Tax / Capital Gains Tax?

Unfortunately, you are not able to make a Gift Aid declaration.


What if I’m a pensioner?

You may still pay tax on a private pension plan or a savings account. If you sell property or shares, you will also pay capital gains. If so, you can Gift Aid too.


What if I’m a higher rate taxpayer?

OTR can only directly claim back at the basic rate, but please complete and return the declaration anyway. As a higher rate taxpayer, if you declare your donations on your tax return, you can claim a rebate based on the difference between the higher rate and the basic rate when you fill in your self-assessment form.


What if I’m a lower rate taxpayer?

If you pay a lower rate (10 % or 20 %), OTR can still claim back 25p for each £1 you donate, provided you pay enough tax to cover the claim in the tax year you make the donation.


How long does the declaration last?

After you sign up for Gift Aid it normally covers past, present, and future donations. We can back-claim for four years and we’ll continue to do so until you ask us not to, so please let us know if anything changes.


Who will have access to this information about me?

Only OTR and HMRC. We won’t share it with anyone else.


What should I do if my tax status changes or if I want to cancel my declaration?

Please let us know by contacting us in one of the following ways:


That sounds great, I want to make a Gift Aid declaration how do I do it?

To make a Gift Aid declaration you can do one of the following

  • Tick the box for Gift Aid when you complete the online enquiry form
  • Ask your counsellor for a Gift Aid declaration form.
  • Email: and ask to have one sent to you.


~ Waiting List ~


Unfortunately, all our spaces are now full so we have had to close our waiting list.


Please check this page regularly to see when it is open again.


Do not fill out the online application form when the list is closed as it will not be put on to our system.


Other low cost counselling providers you may like to try

Or The Counselling Directory website where you will find all other low cost & private counselling providers . 

Our Recent Donors:

Off The Record appreciate the support they have had over the last year from individual fundraising efforts as well as charitable grants through National Lottery Community Fund, Norfolk Community Foundation and the Geoffrey Watling Charity, which have helped the organisation continue its valuable work and ensure that counselling remains accessible to all.


Lucy Ashby

Paul Burnett

Molly Heron

Head of Service

India Kirby 

Head of Administration 

Lisa Burnett

Please contact via


Counsellors & Office Staff

Please contact via

The Counselling Directory  is a nationwide database of qualified counsellors and therapists which offers an advanced search tool that allows you to filter your search according to your needs and location. Or, if you’d rather receive support remotely, you can find a therapist offering online or telephone services.

Print | Sitemap
© 2017, Off The Record Counselling Service (Norfolk) Ltd
Off the Record Counselling Service Ltd is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee.
Registered Charity No. 1088504
Incorporated under the Companies Act 1985, No. 3974890